Dibia$E - OMG!!!


Interesting but alien! 
I want to do this mainly because of unusual it is. I hadn't heard anything as alien as this before listening. There's a huge emphasis on very low and distorted (8-bit style) bass on wonky swung drums. As radical, bizarre and dissonant much of this track is I find myself really getting into its groove. I think the thing that attracts me to 'glitchy' tracks like this is the unpredictability of the effects that are used. The variation in the track comes from these glitches more than from changes in the notes/progression used. I can listen to this same bassline through the entire track and my interest is kept by the outrageous variation in processing.

Drums: 
The first unusual element is the kick and its 'wind' attached to each beat. It sounds to me like a fairly standard kick with a vocal grunt or breath tied into it. The snare is interesting also in that it sounds like a 'boxy' clap sound that's had its tail cut off. But then it's been saturated with a reverb which doesn't do much for making the space of clap sound natural. You can hear it cut off abruptly and followed up with the 'fake' space. The hats are pretty dark in their sound. You hear quite a bit of the stick contact and not a whole lot of sparkle. They blend in quite a bit except on beat 2+.

Some of the effects I can pick: 
I'm going to have a little guess at some of the crazy effect processing that comes in at times on this track.

  • Delay on vocals where the delayed version is not much softer than the original. 
  • A long time-stretch where the 'grains' in the bass are pulled apart from each other and pushed back. 
  • Low Frequency Oscillator (LFO) on the bass making the bass duck in and out for a short time. 
  • Arpeggiator effects for some of the best glitches in here I think, 


No comments:

Post a Comment